The best espresso machines are coming from Italy, the country with a long tradition of making espresso coffees. Do you love espressos, lattes, and cappuccinos?
Millions of people all over the world do. The aroma and flavor of a freshly pulled espresso shot. Truly nothing comes close! But there might be one teeny-tiny problem:
In order to make the perfectly pressed shot of espresso in your kitchen, you will need the best espresso machine. And they tend to have pretty expensive price tags dangling around.
Or at least they used to be.
The good news for you is that you can get a new espresso machine that guarantees a decent quality of espresso shot but also won’t break the bank.
Sounds good? Welcome to the best espresso machines under 200 dollars review.
The $200 price point is what we like to think as a sweet spot for decent quality, entry-level espresso machines with enough features that can satisfy your love for espresso but without being too overwhelming to operate and master.
Top 10 Best Espresso Machines Under $200
- EASY TO USE: Single switch knob with indicator light for easy operation with function transform-coffee/steam selector and on/off. Also, accurate temperature control can ensure the best taste
- BREW LIKE A PRO: Powerful 3.5 bar pressure espresso coffee maker can make 1-4 cups (240ml) espresso coffee and rich smooth cream. Easy-pour glass cup is clearly marked to serve the perfect amount every time, delivers a truly rich espresso in seconds
- YOUR FOAM, YOUR WAY: Coffee espresso machine with frothing arm makes creamy froth to top off your cappuccinos and lattes. Velvety smooth espresso will make mornings so much better
- COMPACT DESIGN: The stainless steel compact design of the espresso coffee machines saves lots of space, smaller and lighter. The removable, washable drip catcher collects coffee drips and keeps brew space tidy, best for home and kitchen use
- Package Includes: 1 x Steam Espresso Machine, 1 x Filter and Funnel, 1 x Spoon, 1 x Carafe, 1 x Manual. For any product problem or enquiries, feel free to contact our customer service and technical support e-mail: email@example.com
- Use convenient pods or ground coffee with the patented dual function filter holder. It makes espresso preparation simple and fast
- Easily prepares latte and cappuccino with the swivel jet frother, for perfect drinks every time. Rated voltage/Frequency (V-Hz)-120-60
- Eliminate annoying start-up preparation with the self-priming operation. On/off switch
- Always brew espresso at the perfect temperature with two separate thermostats, which allow for water and steam pressure to be controlled separately
- Enjoy delicious espresso for years to come with the durable, high-quality stainless steel boiler and 15 bar pump pressure. Note: Refer user manual before use. Maximum cup height: 66 centimeter
- The unit has a steam dial to keep close when consumer does not want to use the frother. If dial is not fully open water will come out from the coffee spout and from the frother. Every cup to your liking 15-bar professional pressure assures quality results every time, and adjustable controls allow you to make modifications for your personal taste preferences
- Semi automatic 3 in 1 espresso maker, cappuccino maker, and latte maker
- 15 Bar Pump System Brews Rich Tasting Espresso Coffee
- Trouble Free Automatic Milk Frother Removes the Guesswork. Do not wash the water reservoir in the dishwasher
- One touch control panel for drink selections
- Easy fill, removable water and milk reservoirs
- Cord length: 26 Inches; 1040 Watts
- Important: It is important to note, instruction manual must be followed to prime unit before using café barista for first time (Pg; 8, Steps 1 and 2); The total amount of beverage can vary depending on type of milk used and froth control knob setting; It is advised that frothing tube be cleaned after each use because that can cause a variance in the frothing as well
- AUTOMATIC COFFEE/ESPRESSO MACHINE: Create barista grade brewed single serve coffee or espresso cups at the touch of a single button. Designed for use with Nespresso Vertuo capsules only
- VERSATILE COFFEE MAKER: Brew 5 different cup sizes at the touch of a button - Espresso (1.35 oz), Double Espresso (2.7 oz), Gran Lungo (5 oz), Coffee (7.7 oz) and Alto (14 oz). Pour over ice to create your favorite iced coffee and latte drinks
- SMART COFFEE MAKER: Brew the perfect single serve coffee or espresso drink time after time, thanks to Nespresso's Centrifusion technology using barcodes to deliver the best in-cup results including the perfect crema for large coffee cup sizes
- FEATURES: Includes 40 oz. water removable water tank for no hassle refilling. Fast heat up time of only 15 seconds. Each machine includes a complimentary starter set of Nespresso capsules (capsule assortment may vary from picture)
- BUNDLE: The Aeroccino 3 milk frother is included to create the perfect finish to your coffee beverages such as cappuccino or latte. Each machine includes a complimentary starter set of Nespresso capsules (capsule assortment may vary from picture)
- Steam Heat feature forces hot steam through the filter for dark, rich espresso brew
- Frothing arm makes creamy froth to top off your cappuccinos and lattes
- Easy pour glass carafe serves up to 4 shots. To avoid espresso maker to be too noisy during operation make sure the water reservoir is full and properly fitted into its position
- Removable, washable drip catcher collects coffee drips and keeps brew space tidy
- Note: Instruction manual must be followed when attaching Filter Holder (pg. 8; To Brew Espresso, step 4.) and using Frothing function (pg. 9; How To Make Cappuccino, step 4.
- High performance: The 19 bar pump system offers barista-style single-serve coffee or espresso every time, perfectly extracting the delicate flavor of each Nespresso original coffee capsule. The input power is 1710 watts
- Speed and energy saving: The fast heat-up system reaches the ideal temperature in just 25 seconds. The automatic energy saving function switches the machine off after 9 minutes of inactivity and can be extended from 9 to 30 minutes.
- Versatility: Adjustable cup size with two programmable espresso (1.35 ounce) and lungo (5 ounce) buttons making CitiZ a great coffee maker for all your single-serve coffee needs. Pour over ice to create your favorite iced coffee drinks. Removable Nespresso capsule container, drip tray and water tank (34 ounce) for quick and simple cleaning
- Design: CitiZ's look continues to please both Nespresso coffee and espresso drinkers and design lovers, adding a touch of elegance to coffee rituals.
- Complimentary gift: Each machine includes a Nespresso Original capsule welcome kit with a range of capsules with unique aroma profiles
- Bundle: The Aeroccino 3 milk frother is included to create the perfect finish to your single-serve coffee beverages such as cappuccino or latte.
- Automatic coffee/espresso maker: Espresso VertuoPlus offers the latest innovation from espresso with an all-new design and colors to complete the perfect single-serve coffee or espresso cup experience. Designed for espresso capsules only. The product has input power of 1350 watts
- Smart coffee maker: Brew the perfect single-serve coffee or espresso drink time after time, thanks to espresso's technology using barcodes to deliver the best in-cup results including the perfect crema for large coffee cup sizes. Simply insert the capsule and enjoy freshly brewed coffee or authentic espresso.
- Bundle: The Aeroccino 3 milk frothed is included to create the perfect finish to your single-serve coffee beverages such as cappuccino or latte. Frequency: 60 hertz
- Barista grade: Brew different single-serve coffee cup sizes at the touch of a button depending on your coffee needs - espresso (1. 35 ounce), double espresso (2. 7 ounce), gran lungo (5 ounce), coffee (7. 7 ounce) and alto (14 ounce). Pour over ice to create your favorite iced coffee drinks.
- Features: The VertuoPlus has a motorized head and moveable 60 ounce water tank. The water tank can swivel out or stay behind the machine based on the configuration of your counter space. The machine also has a fast heat-up time of only 20-25 seconds and has an automatic shutoff after 9 minutes.
- Complimentary gift: Each machine includes a welcome kit with a range of Vertuo capsules with unique aroma profile.
- Material type: Plastic
- Barista grade: Nespresso Inissia by De'Longhi offers an impeccable single-serve coffee or espresso cup every time, thanks to its automatic operation and patented extraction system which delivers up to 19 bars of pressure. The Inissia is the perfect coffee machine that fits perfectly into any interior design.
- Speed: In just one touch, ideal water temperature is reached in 25 seconds and you are ready to make 9 single-serve cups of coffee without having to refill the 24 ounce tank. This automatic coffee machine gets your perfect cup of coffee or espresso to you fast.
- Versatile and smart coffee machine: Adjustable cup size with two programmable espresso and Lungo buttons. A folding drip tray accommodates larger single-serve cup sizes and recipes
- Energy efficient coffee machine: Brew two different cup sizes; Espresso (1.35 ounce) and lungo (5 ounce), with just the touch of a button. Pour over ice to create your favorite iced coffee drinks. With the smart energy saving mode automatically switches off our coffee maker after 9 only minutes.
- Complimentary gift: Each espresso machine includes a Nespresso original capsule welcome kit with a range of capsules with unique aroma profiles. Input power (watts): 1200. Used capsule container - 11 capsules
- SIZE: Discover the newest and smallest ever single serve espresso maker from Nespresso by Breville, without compromising on exceptional coffee and espresso moments. This compact espresso machine is effortlessly portable and features a sleek design and modern smooth lines, allowing it to fit into anywhere saving valuable counterspace.
- PERFORMANCE: Create a barista-style coffee or espresso drinks every time, thanks to our one-touch operation and extraction system which delivers up to 19 bars of pressure.
- EFFICIENT COFFEE MACHINE: In just one touch, the water reaches the ideal serving temperature in 25 seconds and an energy saving mode automatically switches off the machine after 9 minutes.
- VERSATILITY: Adjustable cup size with two programmable Espresso (1.35 oz) and Lungo (5 oz) buttons making Essenza Mini a great coffee maker for all you single serve coffee needs. Pour over ice to create your favorite iced coffee drinks.
- COMPLIMENTARY GIFT: Includes a complimentary starter set of Nespresso capsules (capsule assortment may vary from picture)
- Included Components: User Manual, Welcome Folder, Nespresso Capsule, Coffee Machine, Capsule Container, Drip Grid, Drip Base, Coffee Outlet, Water Tank & Lid
- ✅ ESPRESSO and CAPPUCCINO IN 45 SECONDS- The advanced thermoblock heating system allows you to create Espresso, Cappuccino and Latte in seconds!
- ✅ ESPRESSO MACHINE and LATTE MAKER 15 BAR PUMP PRESSURE SYSTEM- Enjoy great tasting Italian Espresso, Americano and Macchiato!
- ✅ SINGLE ESPRESSO SHOT OR DOUBLE ESPRESSO SHOT- Two stainless steel portafilter baskets included for the option of pulling a single shot or a double shot during each extraction.
- ✅ EASY VIEW REMOVABLE WATER TANK- Conveniently monitor water levels of front view transparent tank (1.25L capacity). Handle included on tank for easy removal for cleaning and refilling.
- ✅ OVER 10,000 UNITS SOLD with an Outstanding Customer service team! Available 24/7 to provide personal assistance at any time!
Espresso Coffee Explained
When talking about coffee, the first thing that comes to mind is the espresso. However, espresso is neither a type of coffee beans nor the coffee itself. It is also usually mistaken as an espresso roast.
An espresso coffee refers to the mere preparation of a coffee bean that is first introduced in the 19th century. Espresso is coffee brewed by forcing pressurized and almost-boiling water through very finely ground coffee beans.
During the 19th century, there was a demand for a quicker way of brewing coffee when coffee shops and restaurants were blooming in the early days.
And the main reason people go to coffee shops is to enjoy a cup of their favorite joe without the hassle of preparing one for themselves. But customers also don’t like to wait.
Thus, the very first espresso machine was invented. An Italian inventor from Turin named Angelo Moriondo was the first to have the privilege to patent his machine in the year 1884.
However, his espresso machine is a bit bulky and not suitable for individual home brewing.
Then, the next inventor, Luigi Bezzerra, was from Milan, Italy. Bezzerra added a few enhancements to Moriondo’s machine in the early part of the twentieth century.
He successfully invented the espresso machine which could brew coffee for a single order in just a few seconds.
However, this machine was heated on an open flame. Thus, the brewing couldn’t be controlled and failed to provide coffee consistency and quality.
Next came the genius Desiderio Pavoni who was also a Milanese. Pavoni bought the espresso machine patent from Bezzerra and made lots of improvements on the machine.
He invented the pressure release valve which helps control the brewing process. This help created a perfect coffee espresso blend while preventing any splashing and spilling of the brew.
From there, Pavoni and Bezzerra became partners and finally came up with the name Ideale for their espresso machine. The Ideale was the forerunner of this modern day’s style of espresso makers.
How To Choose The Best Espresso Machines Under $200
Looking for the best espresso machines under 200 is no walk in the park. At this price range, you have very limited options with some choices only disappoints.
So, how do you decide what to buy? Read throughout a comprehensive buying guide to ensure that you are only getting the best espresso machine under 200!
Type of Espresso Machine
So, what exactly are the types of espresso machines that are available in this price range?
With the semi-automatic espresso machine, some features are automatic while some are not. But however tedious it might sound; the semi-automatic kinds are the most in-demand.
This is because it offers you full control over your brewing process. It is typically used in specialized coffee houses or restaurants. You will need to be an experienced barista in order to use this type of machine.
A semi-automatic espresso machine features a pump to extract the espresso. However, at this price point that controls are usually manual. Most will also have a steam wand for frothing milk.
If you’re not pressed for time, want to control your brewing method, and like to experience or master the joy of espresso-making, then the semi-automatic expresso machine could be just what you are looking for.
Also known as the fully-automatic espresso machines, this is the type to consider and is mostly expensive. However, you can also find the budget-friendly automatic espresso machine that can extract espresso as well as frothing the milk for you.
You can also program the required volume of water, beans, chocolate, or milk to prepare a serving of a specific type of drink you want.
Now, for the more expensive automatic espresso machines out of this range, they can also self-clean and grind the coffee beans.
Super-automatic is the best machine for people on the go who want a cup of strong coffee in a hurry but without the stress of brewing one. The machine requires very little input from you in order to brew a cup.
- Capsule Machines
The capsule espresso machines are distinguished for their ease of use and maintenance. They work as follows:
A sealed blend of roasted beans is stored in the capsules. The capsule is punctured, then hot water enters the hole. After a few minutes, your espresso coffee will be ready.
The conventional capsule espresso machines have several modes of operation with the capability to select the coffee strength, water temperature and so much more. Some of the capsule espresso machines are also able to froth milk with an automatic milk frothing system or a steam wand.
- Manual Lever Espresso Machine
The manual lever espresso machines are the old-world style machines that are designed for the more hands-on espresso enthusiasts who are more willing to invest some time and experiment on making the perfect cup of espresso.
And although these machines are the most complicated version to use, they allow you to become a part of the brewing process and provides you full control.
In order to pull a decent shot of espresso, the machine pushes pressurized hot water through tightly-packed and finely-ground coffee beans.
The question now is, how pressurized does the water need to be?
Well, the industry-standard pressure is 9 bars, meaning 9 times the atmospheric pressure at sea level. However, most brewers believe that a pressure of 15 – 17 bars produces better espresso.
You may want to consider what pressure level you would like for your home brewer. However, most espresso machines under 200 will have these pressure ranges, more or less.
- Drink Variety
Before buying, it is a good idea to think about what you want. Do you want the best espresso machine under 200 to use only as a training wheel that helps you pull a shot in a more hands-on approach? Or do you want to make frothy lattes or cappuccinos?
If you enjoy drinking cappuccino or latte, then a steam wand to froth milk is an important feature that you need to look at.
Fortunately, espresso machines at this price range will have a steam wand on the side of the machine. Others will have a manual frother.
The quality of the steam wand will have a huge impact on how well you can texturize your milk. So, if it is a big deal for you, then you will need to take a closer look at the steam wand or frother on the espresso machine you are eyeing.
- Boiler Type
There are 3 systems for heating the water in espresso machines. The boiler unit heats the water used to extract the espresso and heating the milk.
And when comparing espresso machines, the boiler type is one of the factors you need to consider.
The thermablock boilers are the most common type of boilers on the best espresso machines under 200. They are reliable, fast to heat, and more compact than other boiler types.
- Single Boilers
In general, the single boilers offer a more consistent water temperature. This is an excellent feature that helps produce quality espresso. However, they tend to be more expensive than the thermablock machines.
An espresso machine with a single boiler usually has a thermostat to control and vary the temperature for the milk and espresso.
- Double Boilers
Now, this type is mostly found on the premium and expensive espresso machine. With separate boilers for heating steam and water, they offer the ultimate temperature control and the capability of running the espresso while heating the milk at the same time.
- Coffee Pods vs Coffee Beans
Espresso machines will need the very finely ground dark-roast coffee beans in order to produce espresso shots.
And for the freshest flavor, we suggest that you get a whole bean and grind them just before brewing. Most espresso machines will accommodate ground coffee.
But, if you hate dealing with the coffee grounds, then you can consider the machines compatible with single-serve pods such as Nespresso capsules.
These should be more expensive; however, you will not have to worry about grinding your own beans or tamping them to the portafilter.
Your 3rd option is to go with the Easy Serving Espresso pods. These are invented by Illy which is an Italian company.
These eco-friendly and soft pods work with specifically designed espresso filters, taking out the guesswork of your espresso coffee preparation.
Think about how many shots of espresso you want to brew on a daily basis. If you brew espresso for yourself, then you can go with the more streamlined and compact espresso machine.
But if you have a family who loves espresso or entertains guests every now and then, then you want an espresso machine with a large water reservoir. This way, you will not have to continuously refill the espresso machine.
You might also want to consider the twin-brew head that allows you to brew multiple shots of espresso at the same time.
- Temperature Control
Maintaining a constant temperature is a crucial factor to consider when choosing the best espresso machine under 200. The ideal temperature of pulling an espresso should be lower than that for heating milk.
Thus, a thermometer is utilized to manage the temperature changes.
Most espresso machines under 200 should have one thermostat to control the temperature of the steam and water. Some will even have dual thermometers that allow you to control both the steam and water temperature separately.
It is not just what the espresso machine can do. But it is also about what the machine is made of that also matters.
Of course, you might not be able to find every espresso machine under the 200 price point to be made of the sturdiest and finest material. However, the best espresso machine should be at least well-built, dependable, and durable.
An espresso machine usually takes up a fair amount of counter space on your kitchen counter. And since it will be very visible on your kitchen space, then you might want to consider the look of the appliance.
Do you like a low-key black profile or prefer the shine of the metal models? Do you care if your espresso machine is made of sleek stainless steel or largely made of plastic?
Whatever you choose, go with the one that fits your preferences and kitchen décor.
- Portability and Storage
Although the traditional espresso machines are bulky and large and usually stay on the counter, you can also find lightweight and portable versions.
So, if you want an affordable espresso machine that you use in the office or take with you on camping, then you might want to consider the small, hand-operated versions.
But, if you think you only need to pull espresso shots at home and have enough space on your counter, then go with the sturdier and larger ones.
In addition to portability, you might also want a compact espresso machine that can be easily stored when not in use. We all want to make your kitchen clean, neat, and free of clutter, without dangling cords or the unnecessary appliances that can make the countertop look crowded.
If you don’t intend to keep your espresso machine in the counter or seldomly use it to make a cup of espresso, then you want a model that is easy to store in your kitchen cabinet.
- Ease of Use
Are you a master of espresso shots and have experienced with espresso maker? Maybe you have worked as a barista or owned an espresso machine for years?
Then you might be interested in the manual models that allow you to have hands-on control over every step of the espresso brewing process.
But, if this is your first time and do not know much about espresso or just do not have the time to learn and study complicated espresso machines, then go with the semi-automatic or fully-automatic ones.
These machines will make it easier for you.
Furthermore, you need to buy an espresso machine with intuitive and user-friendly operations, one that will not make you confuse when operating on a drowsy morning.
- Easy Cleaning
Espresso machines are known to require constant and extensive cleaning in order to operate well.
If you are willing to incorporate espresso machine cleaning into your daily routine, then the ease of cleaning features might not matter to you.
However, if you are a busy person and simply do not have the patience to clean a bulky machine, then you might be interested in convenient features such as self-cleaning or the removable and dishwasher-safe parts.
The best espresso machine under 200, will need to have some kind of warranty to guarantee its quality and reliability.
This way, if the espresso machine suddenly malfunctioned or stopped working in just a few days or weeks’ time, you can hold the manufacturer reliable and have it replaced for a new one, all free of charge.
Just take note that even if the machine is covered by a warranty, the manufacturer might still charge you for repairs or shipping.
Also, you might want to carefully read the warranty information first before purchasing the espresso machine and register the machine with the company or manufacturer when you receive it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What can I expect from the best espresso machine under 200?
A: With an espresso machine in this price category, you can expect some decent quality machines and espresso shots, but not high enough to call it classic.
Also, these espresso machines may have the necessary equipment such as a milk frother for the production of espresso-based beverages.
The truth is, with the best espresso machine under 200, you’re buying an entry-level machine. So, espresso machines at this price point are best suited for beginners.
Q: Are there even cheaper espresso machines available?
A: Ever since espresso coffee became popular, a lot of brands have jumped on the espresso bandwagon and manufactured their own machines.
Thus, you can find a large selection of espresso machines that even have a less than $100 price tag.
Take note, however, that these machines will not be able to perform quite well and you might find yourself with regret for a bum purchase.
Q: Is the best espresso machine under 200 suitable for home use?
A: Yes. The best espresso machine at this price point is a decent option for most home and office use. However, they are not suitable for specialty cafes and restaurants.
Q: How many bars should a decent espresso machine have?
A: The optimal pressure for espresso extraction is 8 – 9 bars. It is the industry standard. However, most coffee connoisseurs will argue that 15 bars is the bare minimum in order to extract a nice and respectable shot of espresso.
Fortunately, most of the espresso machines mentioned above have an average range of 3.5 – 15 bars which is good enough to make decent espresso shots.
Q: Does the best espresso machine under 200 make a decent espresso shot?
A: Yes. But it will depend on which espresso machine you choose. Some are better than others. And at this price point, only a few are great at pulling decent espresso shots.
And while some can make a decent espresso shot, they are still far from the professional, barista-pulled espresso shots.
Q: Is a milk frother important?
A: This will depend on your preference. If you only care about pulling out decent espresso shots, then you will not need an espresso machine with milk frother.
However, if you’re one to crave for a latte, cappuccino, or any milky coffee beverage, then we suggest you go with the best espresso machines with a steam wand or milk frother.
As you can see, you do not have to spend so much in order to get a brew and pull shots of espresso at home.
Ultimately, there are so many espresso machines available on the market today that you are bombarded with affordable, yet efficient machines that can get the job done.
Have you been wanting a good espresso machine, but unable to afford the top expensive models? Fear no more!
With the affordable and best espresso machines under 200 from above, you are guaranteed to have a delicious espresso shot every time!
Although the best espresso machines under 200 will not be able to provide you with all the fancy bells and whistles of a premium and more expensive espresso machine, they can still provide you with a strong and great-tasting cup of espresso to enjoy!
We hope you find this article helpful! Are you considering an espresso machine from our list or have a particular model you would like to recommend?
Feel free to fire up the comment section below! We love to hear your thoughts!
Also, please don’t forget to share this article with your friends and family!
Until then, have a strong and energized day!