- 1 Top 10 Best Single Serve Coffee Makers Reviews
- 2 Single Serve Coffee Maker vs Regular Coffee Make
- 3 Advantages of The Best Single Serve Coffee Makers
- 4 How To Pick The Best Single Serve Coffee Makers
- 5 How To Clean A Single Serve Coffee Maker?
- 6 Daily Cleaning Tips
- 7 Frequently Asked Questions
- 8 Final Thoughts
There’s nothing more convenient than the best single serve coffee makers.
Pop in a pod, push some buttons and then a minute or two later, you can smell the heavenly aroma of freshly brewed coffee right into the mug of your choice.
So, it’s no wonder why the best single serve coffee makers are one of the most popular brewing methods across the world.
But with the hundreds of single serve coffee markets available on the market today, how can you find the best one?
Well, we already did the hard work for you and listed the top 10 best single serve coffee makers.
Top 10 Best Single Serve Coffee Makers Reviews
- FITS ANYWHERE: Less than 5 inches wide, perfect for small spaces
- YOUR PERFECT AMOUNT: Brew any cup size between 6-12oz with Keurig K-Cup pods
- ONE CUP RESERVOIR: Just add fresh water for each brew
- FAST & FRESH BREWED: Coffee made in minutes
- CORD STORAGE: For easy transport and tidy countertops
- TRAVEL MUG FRIENDLY: Removable drip tray accommodates travel mugs up to 7.0 inches tall and holds a full accidental brew for easy cleanup
- ENERGY EFFICIENT: Auto off feature turns off your coffee maker 90 seconds after your last brew, helping to save energy
- COMPATIBLE WITH THE MY K-CUP UNIVERSAL REUSABLE COFFEE FILTER: Brew your own ground coffee (sold separately)
- INCLUDED IN THE BOX: Keurig K-Mini single serve coffee maker
- MATTE FINISH: Sleek simplicity meets modern style the K-Mini coffee maker is available in a variety of matte-finish colors
- Compact Personal Coffeemaker -This single-serve coffeemaker brews directly into the included travel mug; space-saving design is perfect for small kitchens, apartments, and dorm rooms
- Travel Mug Included - The 16-oz. travel mug fits snugly in most car cup holders and is dishwasher safe
- Permanent Grounds Filter -No need to buy wasteful paper filters; the mesh metal filter works with grounds or soft pods, and is easy to rinse clean
- Automatic Shutoff - The coffeemaker turns off immediately after brewing, giving you peace of mind as you head out the door
- Optimal Brewing Temperature - Water is heated to the perfect brewing temperature for ideal flavor results. Refer to the PDF attached below in Technical Specification for User Manual.
- Note: Cup equals approximately 5 oz. (varies by brewing technique); Nonstick Carafe Plate; Volts: 120V
- Brew your own ground coffee with single-serve scoop filter.
- Fast brewing: Brew an 8-ounce cup in less than 90 seconds and a 14-ounce travel mug in under 2.5 minutes.
- Flexible: Uses a mesh scoop filter so it can be brewed with your choice of coffee grounds.
- Custom cup: Brews a single-serve cup to your liking with regular (automatic drip) and bold options.
- Durable: Designed with durable, easy-to-clean stainless steel to ensure longevity. Built-in stand for coffee mugs.
- Great features: Features automatic shutoff after brewing, a spill-resistant drip tray and more.
- Note: To prevent coffee overflows, fill coffee grounds to the lowest line on the scoop filter and do not overfill. Be careful not to over grind coffee beans, as very finely ground coffee can cause overflows. For a stronger cup of coffee, select the bold setting and use a medium grind size that's appropriate for a standard automatic drip coffee maker. This unit will not brew without water in the water reservoir, even if the brew button is pushed.
- K-Cup compatible brewer makes one cup at a time,Compatible with any brand of single cup pod including Keurig K-Cup pods. Cord length : 32 Inches
- Included Components: SS-10 unit
- 72-oz water reservoir
- Removable drip tray
- instruction book
- Rapid Brewed Coffee Right At Your Fingertips: This personal single serve coffee maker will give you that fresh, pure taste that is required to jump start your day. Have your cup ready to drink in only 3 minutes. Hot enough to still have hot coffee with cream added. The water adjustment function allows you to control how much coffee you want to brew to save expensive grounds.
- Durable & Compact Design: Innovatively designed to be compact and durable, yet extremely effective, this coffee maker is much smaller than others. You will be able to fit it in tight places on countertops, office tables, etc.
- 2 In 1 Brewing: Whether you want to brew a coffee pod or make a cup of coffee the traditional way, this innovative machine will allow you to do either. The simple side button feature allows you to conveniently choose between these 2 brewing styles.
- Auto Cleaning Button: When you are done using this one of a kind coffee machine, simply press 2 buttons and let the machine clean itself. Cleaning your machine have never been this easy. Forget to shut off your machine? Don’t worry, the machine will automatically turn off after brewing a cup of coffee.
- Warm Tips: Be sure to add water into water tank before press the button to start to brew coffee. The coffee maker only can be used under US standard voltage. A voltage transformer is needed when you use it in other countries. Black Insulated Coffee Travel Mug is not included.
- The Best Way To Start Your Morning - Say hello to the smaller edition of your favorite Mueller Single Serve Coffee Maker. Fast and easy to use, this Muller Coffee Machine will make you the perfect cup of coffee any time of the day you want. Our compact design easily fits into tight spots or compliments any counter space.
- Compatible With All Single Cups - Designed to fit all 1.0 & 2.0 single coffee capsules, from now on you can make any type of coffee you want. For the best tasting coffee and superior quality, we recommend Schaffhauser Coffee Pods: Crema Forte, Lungo Dolcetto and Ristretto Potente. Choose your favorite flavor and you won't regret it!
- Compact & Quick - Fastest brewing cycle on the market! Takes only 3 MINUTES to have your favorite coffee ready. 10oz water tank, supports standard sized and larger coffee cups (up to 4.1" tall). With removable drip tray, you can clean this coffee machine easily and make your delicious coffees without any mess.
- One-touch Button Operation - Our team specially designed the fastest and the easiest way to make delicious coffee with just - ONE BUTTON. Click the button for on/off operation. This coffee machine also features AUTO SHUT-OFF preventing the unit from overheating and keeping you safe.
- Mueller's Mission - Our mission is to deliver simply superior products that improve people's lives!
- Rapid Brewed Coffee Right at Your Fingertips: This one cup coffee maker will give you that fresh, pure taste that is required to jump start your day. Have your cup ready to drink in only 3 minutes! Hot enough to still have hot coffee with cream added. The water adjustment function allows you to control how much coffee you want to brew to save expensive grounds.
- Durable & Compact Design: Innovatively designed to be compact and durable, yet extremely effective, this pod coffee maker is much smaller than others. You will be able to fit it in tight places on countertops, office tables, etc.
- 2-in-1 Brewing: Whether you want to brew capsule or make a cup of coffee the traditional way, this innovative coffee brewer will allow you to do either! The simple side button feature allows you to conveniently choose between these 2 brewing styles. A thermal mug is included to allow you to take home-made hot coffee on the go. It can keep your coffee hot up to 6 hours.
- Auto-cleaning Button: When you are done using this one-of-a-kind coffee machine, simply press 2 buttons and let this single cup coffee machine clean itself. Cleaning your pod and ground brewer machine have never been this easy! Forget to shut off your machine? Don’t worry, the coffee machine will automatically turn off after brewing a cup of coffee.
- Ugraded Basker Filter with a Lid- This is a upgrade model: 1177 upgrade version single serve coffee maker, we improve the taste of your coffee by designing a lid for the basket filter, it can hold the coffee grounds in place to prevent them from flowing into your coffee.
- 12-cup glass carafe with stainless steel handle. Material: Metal
- Brew Strength Control - select BOLD for stronger coffee flavor. BPA free.MC Cubic Feet: 1.71
- Gold-tone coffee filter lets only pure coffee flavor flow through.UC Cubic Feet: 1.26
- Single-Serve serving sizes: 6, 8, 10 oz; Charcoal water filter
- Includes Cuisinart's Home Barista Reusable Filter Cup which lets you use your own coffee, K-Cup pod compatible as well
- Brews multiple k-cup pod sizes: (6, 8, 10 ounce) – the most popular k-cup pod brew sizes. Use the 6 ounce brew size to achieve the strongest brew.
- Large 48 ounce water reservoir: Allows you to brew 6+ cups before having to refill, saving you time and simplifying your morning routine. The water reservoir is removable, making it easy to refill whenever you need to.
- Descaling: An important part of cleaning your keurig brewer. This process helps to remove calcium deposits, or scale, that can build up inside a coffee maker over time.
- Auto-off: An auto-off feature is easily programmed to turn off your coffee maker after it has been idle for two hours, helping to save energy.
- Simple button controls: Just insert a pod, select your desired cup brew size, and brew a great-tasting cup in under a minute.
- Fabric type: Plastic
- Single-serve coffee maker with or without K-Cup pods. Brew up to 10 ounce. With a K-Cup, pod, or up to a 14 ounce. Travel mug with grounds. Pod holder and grounds basket are included.
- Just lower lid and brew: Whether it’s a single-serve pod or your own fresh grounds, just place them in the holder, lower the lid and press brew. The coffee maker automatically shuts off when brewing is complete.
- Personal coffee maker: The flex brew single-serve coffee maker is the perfect gift for college students, small kitchens, the office or anyone who prefers to have a fresh cup of coffee each time they brew.
- Fits a variety of mugs: Use the adjustable cup rest to not only fit your favorite mug in just right, but to also store the single-serve pod holder or the brew basket.
- Easy to clean: The pod-piercing needle removes for easy cleaning to prevent clogging that can sometimes occur with frequent use.
- Brew time: In about 3 minutes, flex brew make a strong, great-tasting cup of coffee. And you save energy because rather than heating water continuously, flex brew only heats the water when you're ready to brew.
- Keurig and K-Cup are registered trademarks of the Keurig green mountain, use of the Keurig and K-Cup trademarks does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by Keurig green mountain, Inc
Single Serve Coffee Maker vs Regular Coffee Make
With the best single serve coffee makers, you will get exactly what their name promises— brewing just enough coffee for one person.
Meanwhile, the regular coffee makers can vary on the amount of coffee they can brew.
However, there are some exceptions to this with some machines offering combinations of the single serve convenience along with the option of making full carafe of drip coffee.
How Single Serve Coffee Makers Work?
To brew a cup of coffee on a single serve coffee maker, the user needs to fill the reservoir with water. After that, you will only need to pop a coffee pod in and brew.
Here is where the magic begins. You’ll hear the wurrr noise as the coffee maker starts to push water through the machine. In most machines, this pump consists of a small motor with an uneven roller on it.
The uneven roller causes the flexible rube to move in a pumping action and sucking water through. For most coffee makers, however, there are no pumps or moving parts. They use a check valve which allows water flowing in one direction.
The water will flow through the check valve because of gravity to the heater. Then the heater will heat the water and creates a difference in temperature between the reservoir and the heated water.
Such differential causes flow from the water reservoir to the heater with the check valve keeping the water moving in a single direction. The principle allows most coffee makers to operate with tubing and a heater.
The next step of the process is the heating element.
More often, coffee makers feature a coiled copper tubing that gets heated, increasing the surface area of the water that is in contact with the heated metal and speeding up the process.
However, other coffee makers use heated reservoirs, the most common is the coiled heated tubing. The heat is generated via electrical resistance. The current tries to flow through the metal that presents significant resistance to the energy flow.
These heaters are usually 1,500 watts and can bring the water to 185 degrees Fahrenheit. The resistance then transforms the electrical energy into heat energy and bringing the water to the optimum temperature.
Now that the water has been pumped and heated to the top of the machine, it is time for the final steps. At the end of the tube, there’s a narrow, hose-like nozzle that increases the pressure of the water.
This high-pressure water is pump in and through the pod and exiting through the small hole poked in the bottom when you placed it into the coffee maker.
This pressurization of the water guarantees that the flavor of the whole pod is used, and that water made it all the way through the coffee capsule.
After that, it passes through a final layer of filter paper which keeps your cup of coffee from being full of grounds and finally into your mug for you to enjoy.
- 10 Best Under Cabinet Coffee Makers
- Making Coffee Camping: The Ultimate Guide To Camp Coffee
- Do Starbucks Frappuccinos Have Coffee?
- Best Coffee Pod Holders: Top 10 Editor’s Pick
- How to Grind Coffee Beans Without a Grinder
Advantages of The Best Single Serve Coffee Makers
On average, you’re wasting a cup of coffee by not drinking the total amount that you brew. This is not going to happen with the best single serve coffee makers.
You’re inserting a pod to create a specific amount of coffee. Then you choose the desired brew size.
So, for someone who lives along, single serve coffee makers are a great option and helps save money since it allows you to brew the exact right amount of coffee.
Single serve coffee makers offer the most convenient way to brew a cup of coffee. You only need to insert your favorite coffee pod or refilling there usable filter that the machine support then presses the brew button.
In just a few minutes you’ll have a coffee to enjoy.
Easy Cleaning and Management
Most manufacturers of the best single serve coffee makers offer advanced descaling features that allow you to conveniently and easily clean the machine. In addition, most features have a drip tray that catches spills and coffee drops.
Compact and Portability
Since they only cater for a single serving, these machines are generally compact and portable. You don’t have to keep them in the same place and allows you to take it with your travels.
Consistency and Versatility
AS long as you’re using the same coffee pods or K-cups, you’re going to have the same cup of coffee every time.
In addition, most single serve coffee makers offer versatility in the beverages you can make. You can go with hot chocos, teas with other models allowing you to make your own lattes and cappuccinos.
How To Pick The Best Single Serve Coffee Makers
1) Electric vs Gravity-Powered
Single serve coffee makers can be broadly divided into 2 categories— the gravity-powered machines and the electric options.
The former allows for air pressure or time to percolate your ground coffee and aid extraction, while the latter works with electricity.
Before you decide one or the other, here are a few things you should consider:
- For camping trips or travel without the risk of breakdown, go for the gravity-powered machines.
- For the easiest to operate, go with the electric single serve coffee makers.
- For the machine that heats water for you, electric is the choice.
2) Coffee Capsules vs Coffee Pods
Although some brands tend to use the terms interchangeably, they refer to 2 distinct coffee ground containers.
The coffee capsules are the small plastic cups by Nespresso and Keurig amongst others. When placed into the machine, the machine pierces them then runs hot pressurized water through the capsule.
They are sealed and very convenient, with their contents stays a bit fresher for longer periods of time.
So, if you’re a sporadic coffee drinker, then go with coffee capsules, preferable the reusable ones.
Meanwhile, coffee pods are round bags of ground coffee that looks like bigger tea bags. They’re often biodegradable and available in a standard size which can be used with various machines.
However, since they contain coffee grounds exposed to contaminants and air, they lose their flavor faster than the coffee capsules.
3) K-Cup or No K-Cup
K-Cups revolutionized the single serve coffee game in both negative and positive ways.
Its biggest advantage is providing consistent brewing with numerous flavors. However, they offer poor quality coffee and have a large negative impact on the environment. Plus, they tend to cost more.
A great alternative to the K-cups or pods is to go with the refillable insert such as the My K-Cup. These allow you to fill your own coffee capsule with coffee or grind of your choice.
4) Brewing Time
You might also consider the amount of time it takes to brew your coffee, especially if you always find yourself hassling every morning. Most of the best single serve coffee makers can brew a cup of coffee in less than a few minutes.
5) Water Reservoir Capacity
Although single serve coffee makers brew a cup of coffee one at a time, it does not mean that you also need to fill its water reservoir every time you need to brew another cup.
Most single serve coffee makers have a water capacity of up to 5 – 8 cups, so you don’t have to refill every now and then. Furthermore, make sure to opt for models with a removable water reservoir for easy refilling.
You need to consider how many people will be using the coffee maker and whether the cup options are suited for everybody. The brew strength can be adjusted by choosing a different cup option, which is a nice feature.
6) Convenient Features
The features that single serve coffee makers can vary from one model to another. However, some of the most common and convenient features you need to look for include:
- Auto-Clean Features
This is a very convenient feature for saving both your energy and time. With this feature, you don’t have to spend your weekends cleaning complicated machinery.
Most manufacturers include this auto-clean feature that automatically cleans the machine by itself and prevents odor, rusting, and mineral build-up on your coffee maker, enhancing functionality, safety, and longevity.
- Brew Strength
There is a range of coffee makers out there that allow you to customize the strength settings of your brew to prepare a dark or light cup of coffee just the way you like.
So, if you have control of your coffee’s strength, then make sure that the coffee maker you’re looking at have this.
- Temperature Adjustment
To brew a delish and perfect cup of coffee, temperature plays a crucial role. For the average coffee drinkers, they won’t be able to notice the differences at all, but not for the coffee addicts and enthusiasts.
So, if you wish to brew your coffee at the perfect temperature, hitting that wonderful flavor, you need to pick a single serve brewer that allows you to customize the brewing temperature.
- Programmable Timer
If you are one of those who like to wake up on the aroma of a freshly brewed coffee, then a single serve coffee maker with a programmable timer is a valuable feature. This way you will always have an energizing cup of coffee at the perfect time without waiting for a few minutes to brew.
- Auto-Shut Off
This feature automatically shuts down the coffee maker after some time of idling, helping save energy.
7) Physical Size
You also need to be clear on the amount of space you have in your kitchen countertop to accommodate your new single serve coffee maker.
Ideally, you need to place a single serve coffee maker on a stable surface that is close to your faucet for easy refilling as well as a near electrical outlet for convenience
Weight is not an issue here since you will normally place the machine and leave it in place. In addition, you also need to consider the height of the area where you will be placing your new coffee maker.
Typically, there are about 17 inches between the upper cabinets and kitchen counter, and that is usually enough for most single serve coffee makers.
While most single serve coffee makers have a compact design, there are some models that are tall with a wide footprint, so you need to carefully consider your options and counter space.
8) Coffee Brewer Accessories
You might also want to choose a coffee maker with convenient accessories and ad-on. One of the most common accessories isreusable filters which allow you to brew your own ground coffees more economically.
Keurig, for instance, offers the My K-Cup reusable filter for their home brewing system, allowing you to brew your own ground coffee and save money instead of always buying the one-time use K-cups.
Other convenient accessories you might want to look for are the water filter replacements as well as the recommended descaling solution.
Starting supply of K-cup or pods are also welcome, providing you with assortments of flavors for you to try with your new coffee maker as well as Vue carousels and racks also provide convenience and easier access. Read More: Best Keurig Coffee Makers
You don’t want to end up with a coffee maker that will not last a week or month. Thus, you need to keep an eye on product warranties. Most coffee makers will have at least a 1-year warranty backing them up, while others can go up to 3.
Also, some manufacturers also offer a money-back guarantee for a few days to protect customers from defects and dissatisfaction
How To Clean A Single Serve Coffee Maker?
There has been a lot of issues these days over the single serve coffee makers and all the germs that may be breeding in their inner workings.
Fortunately, a simple cleaning process should be able to take care of these germs and hard water deposits that may have accumulated and left your coffee maker chugging and brewing a bit slowly.
- Start by unplugging the coffee maker and removing all the removable pieces, including the K-cup or coffee pod holder, water reservoir, and the tray where your mug sits.
- Wash these pieces with warm, soapy water. Let it sit to dry.
- Using a damp microfiber cloth, wipe the entire exterior of the coffee maker. You need to take extra care around the coffee pod basket to get all those stubbing minuscule grounds that sit there.
- Get those pieces that you just washed. Reassemble the machine.
- Plug it back in.
- Fill the coffee maker’s water tank reservoir with one-half cold water and one-half white vinegar.
- Turn the machine on and run a brewing cycle without inserting a coffee pod.
- Discard the resulting solution.
- Repeat the step until no vinegar and water mixture remains in the water tank.
- After that, you need to fill up the tank with cold, fresh water.
- Once again, run a brewing cycle without coffee pods.
- Dump the water and repeat the process until no vinegar smell remains.
Daily Cleaning Tips
Although you might need to deep clean your coffee maker a few times every year, we suggest you do the following tips for ongoing cleaning and maintenance.
- Use filtered water when brewing in order to reduce the hard water deposits.
- Use a coffee pod only once.
- Let the coffee maker “air out” by leaving its lid off.
- Empty, clean, and refill the water reservoir every day.
- Replace the filter according to the recommendations of the manufacturer.
- Always wipe down the exterior of the coffee maker as well as the surface it sits on in order to prevent dust and debris from settling inside.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I clean a single serve coffee maker?
A: To clean a single serve coffee maker, refer to the cleaning instruction in its manual. Or you can just use vinegar and water to clean the machine.
Fill the water tank with a 1:1 water-vinegar solution. Then run a brew cycle without inserting a pod or a capsule. Then run a few more brew using just water in order to remove the vinegar residue.
Q: Can I use a coffee pod in a regular coffee maker?
A: Yes. Coffee pods can be used in a regular coffee maker since they are not designed for a particular brand. You can even use these pods without a coffee machine with the pour-over or drip brew method.
Q: How often should I descale my coffee maker?
A: You need to descale your coffee maker every 1 – 2 months in order to ensure consistent flavors and longevity of the machine.
There are some coffee machines that include an automatic descaling feature, notifying you when it is time to perform deep clean.
Q: Can I put K-cups in a regular coffee maker?
A: No. K-cups are not designed to work with any machines other than the Keurig machines.
Q: How fast does a single serve coffee maker brew a cup?
A: This depends on the coffee maker. However, in order to properly brew a coffee, it takes up to 45 seconds.
So, there you have it!
We hope you find this article informative and help you find the right single serve coffee maker for you.
Whether you prefer to use freshly ground coffee or like to try a pod-based machine, most machines we explored in this article give you the chance to use both methods.
Then, we’ve also thrown in some manual solutions, perfect for your traveling and camping trips!