- 1 The 5 Best Burr Coffee Grinders Reviews
- 1.1 Capresso 565.05 Infinity Conical Burr Grinder
- 1.2 Pros & Cons
- 1.3 Bodum BISTRO Burr Coffee Grinder
- 1.4 Pros & Cons
- 1.5 Rancilio Rocky Espresso Coffee Grinder
- 1.6 Pros & Cons
- 1.7 Breville BCG820BSS Smart Grinder Pro Coffee Bean Grinder
- 1.8 Pros & Cons
- 1.9 KRUPS 8000035978 GX5000 Professional Electric Coffee Burr Grinder
- 1.10 Pros & Cons
- 2 The Best Burr Coffee Grinders: A Buyer Guide
- 3 Conclusion
A burr coffee grinder is a grinder consisting of two coarse revolving surfaces that grind coffee beans. They differ from a standard coffee grinder which is similar to a blender and uses a blade. If you’re enthusiastic about a great cup of coffee, chances are you know that a burr coffee grinder is widely considered the finer choice out of the two.
Today we’re going to look at 5 of the best burr coffee grinders out there. For all the coffee lovers, we think you’ll appreciate our product reviews, product comparison table, and buyer guide. We’re confident we have all the info you need for your next coffee purchase!
The 5 Best Burr Coffee Grinders Reviews
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Capresso 565.05 Infinity Stainless Steel Conical Burr Grinder with Capresso East Coast Blend Whole Bean Coffee (16 ounce, Medium Roast) and Harold Import 726S Coffee Measure
- INFINITY CONICAL BURR GRINDER: The multiple gear motor produces the slowest grinding action (< 450 rpm) resulting in highest precision grinding from Turkish fine to percolator coarse.
- FEATURES: This grind can be set to grind from 5 to 60 seconds and can pulse grind as well. Commercial grade solid conical steel burrs hand assembled in Switzerland provide high precision grinding of your coffee.
- GRIND AND FINENESS SETTINGS: Clearly marked fineness settings, 4 each for extra fine, fine, regular and coarse. A total of 16 settings.
- CAPCITY: See through bean container holds up to 8.8 oz. of beans. The tight fitting ground coffee container holds up to 4 oz. of ground coffee.
- The Bistro Burr Grinder consistently crushes beans between stainless steel conical burrs. This process also preserves the bean’s intrinsic flavor and aroma better than a blade grinder.
- Push button, pre-set timer allows users to grind the exact amount of coffee needed, keeping beans fresh and preventing waste.
- 12 Adjustable grind settings allow users to go from Espresso to French Press with ease.
- Equipped with a friction clutch, which protects the grinding gear by the presence of small stones.
- Dishwasher-Safe Borosilicate glass catcher with grip reduces static cling of coffee grounds.
- Holds up to 7.75 Ounces of Coffee Beans.
- Features a "chute" instead of a doser traditionally found on semi-commercial grinders
- Quickly adjusts using its 55 different grind setting
- Legendary 166-watt direct drive motor is powerful and quiet
- Tinted bean hopper holds about 10 ounces of coffee
- Grind only what you need with this doserless system for fresher coffee and less waste
- Stainless steel conical burrs designed to minimize grinding heat and protect the essential oils in the coffee bean
- 60 precise grind settings from the finest Espresso to the coarsest French Press Grind. Voltage: 110 120 Volts. Power: 165 Watts
- Precision Electronic Timer allows users to adjust grind time in 0.2 second increments and consistent dose every time
- 18 ounce coffee bean capacity with locking system for easy removal, storage, and transfer of the bean hopper
- Grind directly into portafilter, grinds container, gold tone filter basket or paper filter
- Portafilter cradle small 50 54 millimeter; Portafilter cradle large 58 millimeter
- Note: Refer user manual before use
- Metallic flat burr coffee grinder for coffee lovers Power 110 W
- Burr mill system avoids overheating, preserves aroma and has grind fineness selector for a precise grinding
- The electric coffee grinder has 9 grind levels for a range of drip, cold brew, and pour over coffee grind
- 8 oz Clear bean container; quantity selector from 2 to 12 cups to grind the exact quantity you need
- For safety, if the bean container and/or the lid is not properly in place to active the micro switches, the espresso grinder will not operate
- Adjust the fineness level for any type of coffee through 9 main grind settings with 5 intermediary steps each The cup selector lets you choose between 2 to 12 cups, while the auto stop function provides full control and safety Convenient features complete the package: a removable 15 oz container, a removable top burr for effortless cleaning, and a large capacity 7 oz clear coffee bean container
Capresso 565.05 Infinity Conical Burr Grinder
The Capresso 565.05 Infinity Conical Burr Grinder is undoubtedly one of the best burr coffee grinders on the market. It comes with 16 grind settings for fine, extra-fine, regular, and slightly coarse coffee. Additionally, If you order this bundle deal, you can try out your new burr grinder with a pack of delicious East Coast Blend whole bean coffee and a Harold Import 726S Coffee Measure.
The slowness of the burr grinder produces consistent, perfectly ground coffee. The slowness also preserves the flavor of coffee with less heat and friction required to grind the beans. The bean container can hold up to 8.8 ounces of aromatic coffee beans and can grind up to 4 ounces of coffee.
If you want to enjoy your new grinder without the hassle of getting a new package of coffee beans, this may be the perfect bundle for you. The Capresso is also easy to clean with the removable conical burr. It also comes with a cleaning brush so you can take proper care of your new burr grinder.
Bodum BISTRO Burr Coffee Grinder
The Bodum BISTRO Burr coffee grinder crushes beans rather than cutting, which preserves the natural flavor and aroma of coffee. This easy-to-use burr grinder comes with 12 adjustable settings for fine or coarsely ground coffee. The Bodum Bistro grinder stands out from its counterparts for its color options, and you can choose black, red, or white, whatever matches your decor!
One of the best burr coffee grinders around, this one stands out for its convenience and how quickly you can learn how to use it. The Bodum BISTRO grind guide, which doubles as the lid to the coffee beans holder, contributes to how easily it functions by showing you exact measurements and directions. The glass coffee catcher can also easily be washed by hand or even in your dishwasher, similar to a drinking glass.
This may be the best burr coffee grinder choice for those who are newly interested in coffee. It comes with very few buttons and knobs, and it’s clear how to use it, especially with the grind guide. Too many extra features can be frustrating if you’re still a beginner with coffee appliances, and the Bodum BISTRO can still get the job done and give you nicely ground coffee beans.
Rancilio Rocky Espresso Coffee Grinder
The Rancilio Rocky Espresso Coffee Grinder lets you skip a cleaning step, who doesn’t love that? With the help of the included removable fork, your freshly ground coffee can pour directly into a portafilter without collecting in a catcher that needs to be washed. It also has a removable, easily washable tray for any loose coffee.
Another pleasant feature that comes with the Rancilio Rocky is the quiet operation motor, something lacking in many other burr coffee grinders. This grinder is also one of the best burr grinders because of its versatility. You can grind anything, from espresso to cold brew, to your desired texture.
The Rancilio Rocky is one of the most durable burr coffee grinders out there with its sturdy, long-lasting motor and high-quality 50mm commercial grade grinding burrs. It also looks cool! With the stainless steel exterior, funky blue spout and hopper, and authentic appearance, it can feel like you’re one step closer to bringing your favorite café to your kitchen.
Breville BCG820BSS Smart Grinder Pro Coffee Bean Grinder
Alright, so now we’re going to talk about an ultra-fancy burr coffee grinder. The Breville BCG820BSS Smart Grinder may be the burr coffee grinder for you if you want something innovative and efficient. The burrs are made of stainless steel and don’t produce too much heat when grinding, preserving the flavor and essential oil in the coffee beans.
Naturally, this smart grinder comes with 60 grind settings. It can also hold up to 18 ounces of coffee beans at a time, outshining most manual burr coffee grinders with this capacity. It functions electronically, making it relatively easy to use after reading the manual.
The electronic timer makes the Breville Smart Grinder very convenient to use and is a good choice for beginner coffee enthusiasts who don’t want to fuss around too much with their grinder. If you enjoy practicality in your appliances, this burr grinder should fit in nicely with your kitchen. It comes with a stainless steel exterior, but you also have the option to buy the grinder in red or black.
KRUPS 8000035978 GX5000 Professional Electric Coffee Burr Grinder
The KRUPS 8000035978 Professional Electric Coffee Burr Grinder is a compact, straightforward burr coffee grinder that can hold up to 7 ounces of beans in the bean container. The dial on the front shows you the 9 grind levels, letting you grind your coffee beans for cold brew coffee, drip coffee, and pour over coffee. The large catcher on the front can hold quite a bit of nicely ground coffee and indicates what maximum level you shouldn’t go over.
The metallic burrs don’t overheat and affect the flavor of the coffee beans. Additionally, you can grind any amount of coffee, from 2 to 12 ounces, and the grinder automatically stops when the amount of coffee you select is ground. This lets you multitask and do other things in the kitchen while your coffee is being ground to perfection.
This burr coffee grinder is perfect for the no-nonsense coffee lover who just wants delicious coffee every morning. It’s easy to use, and its compact size doesn’t take up too much space on your kitchen counter. The motor is powerful and long-lasting and coupled with the grinder’s minimal buttons, it would be difficult to break it.
The Best Burr Coffee Grinders: A Buyer Guide
At this point, you may have decided that you would like to buy a burr coffee grinder. We’ve outlined the 5 best burr coffee grinders and how they differ from one another. While this may be enough information for you, we still think it’s important to create a guide you can use to help you make the best decision possible.
Compared to a blade grinder, a burr coffee grinder is a superior option. However, you have to ask yourself if you’re looking to buy one because you’re a coffee enthusiast, or because you like the idea of having a top-notch product.
You may also want to buy one because the grind settings are plentiful, they seem more convenient, they look aesthetically pleasing, or you’re a coffee “newbie” who read that they were a must-have in coffee appliances.
Whatever your reason may be, the perfect burr grinder is out there. Some, like the smart or electric grinders, are for someone looking for convenience and something that can help them multitask in the kitchen. Others look and function more like a burr grinder you may see in a café, which is perfect for beginner coffee enthusiasts and life-long coffee lovers.
You might want to ask yourself what features are a must-have for you, and which ones you can live without. Some burr grinders can hold more whole beans, while some can only hold about 7 ounces. You may want one that can hold more so you don’t have to refill the bean holder as often.
What’s more, a burr grinder with smart or electronic features may not matter much to you. You might want one that’s more straightforward, compact, and authentic looking. An electronic or smart burr grinder might be frustrating if you’re not one for manual reading.
On the other hand, maybe you would prefer a smart or electronic grinder because of how convenient they are, or perhaps you must have only the most innovative and high-tech products.
Some burr grinders are also easier to clean than others, and if you’re a messy person, the easiest burr grinder to clean may be the one for you. If you’re a neat freak, you’ll likely not be bothered too much by a burr grinder that’s more difficult to clean.
Likewise, some burr grinders have quieter motors, and if you don’t want to wake someone up in the morning you can consider choosing a quiet grinder. That being said, you can always grind your coffee beans in the evening.
Do you want to treat yourself to a fancy piece of equipment? Alternatively, do you want a burr grinder that gets the job done without breaking the bank? These are also questions you need to ask yourself before deciding on a purchase and will help you avoid making a decision you regret.
Burr coffee grinders are more expensive than blade coffee grinders, but you don’t have to sacrifice quality for something cheaper. The price of some burr coffee grinders may be a little intimidating, and you might think you need to get a blade grinder instead.
You shouldn’t be too hasty, however, as there are burr grinders out there for under or around $100, and they will last you for much longer than a blade grinder for $20-$30.
If you want to splurge and buy the best of the best, you can find burr coffee grinders for between $200-$300. These grinders typically look aesthetically pleasing and have high-tech features, yet they can be bulky and take up a lot of counter space.
If you’re someone who appreciates appliances that win awards, can be seen in coffee shops, and are made with only the highest quality equipment, you can go ahead and buy one of the more expensive grinders.
Are you strictly an espresso person? If that’s the case, you might want to consider the burr grinder that does the best job grinding espresso beans. If you want something more versatile, you should look for a burr grinder that’s capable of grinding to any level of coarseness, whether it’s for a french press, drip coffee, or cold brew, you should get something that can do it all.
The grinders we talked about today are all equipped with numerous grind settings, so you should have no problem finding the right one. However, if you dig a little deeper before making a purchase, you’ll discover that some are praised for their ability to grind to a certain consistency. Some grinders have a specialty, even if they are a “jack of all trades” burr grinder.
The main reason why a burr coffee grinder is superior is that burrs crush the beans and grind them more consistently than a blade grinder. A blade grinder cuts or chops the beans, which doesn’t preserve the natural flavors and aroma of coffee beans as well as a burr grinder. A burr grinder also crushes beans so the grind is consistent, regardless of if you need a coarse or a fine grind.
Nothing can last forever, and while burr grinders are typically pretty long-lasting, you will have to replace yours eventually. If your grind is less consistent and comes out in clumps, you find yourself repeatedly grinding the same beans, the burrs feel dull, or the motor sounds odd, it may be time to replace your grinder.
Yes, but it’s worth it for coffee lovers. Someone who doesn’t care about the flavor of coffee may not think it’s worth it, but any coffee aficionado will tell you the more expensive burr grinders are worth the extra money. If you would like a burr coffee grinder but have to stick to a budget, you can buy one for around $100.
A good quality burr grinder should last for, at the very least, a couple of years. The higher-end models can last for over 5 years if taken care of properly.
When it comes to the coffee catcher and the bean holder, they’re typically removable and can be washed in the sink. Some grinders have parts that you can put in the dishwasher, just make sure to double-check if that’s safe to do.
To clean the burrs, you should unplug your grinder, pull apart the burrs, and shake excess coffee while scrubbing. After these steps, you can wipe your burrs with some soap and water. It’s a good idea to have a soft brush to clean the harder-to-reach areas.
It’s tough to decide on the absolute best burr grinder, but the five we’ve discussed are suitable for different needs. One thing is certain, coffee experts will be satisfied with one of these grinders as long as it has all of the features they need. Hopefully, we’ve laid it all out there for you and you’ll be on your way to buying a burr coffee grinder you love.
We’ve learned that some are more expensive and high-tech than others, while some are more authentic and provide a more consistent grind. Whether you’re a french press lover, or you just need the perfect espresso shots, we’re confident you’ll be able to find a burr grinder that satisfies you.